The Kershaw County Hospital Board d/b/a The Health Services District of Kershaw County ("The District") is a board of trustees appointed by Kershaw County Council. The Board was originally created by the South Carolina General Assembly in 1952 with powers to provide care for those in need in Kershaw County and to build and operate a public hospital. The Board was reorganized in 1954 and 1969 with its powers expanded and its makeup changed. The nine member board must represent all areas of the community; therefore in order to apply for service an applicant must reside in that area of the county whose seat is open. The members serve a six year term or until a successor is named for the seat.
The District's primary mission has always been, and continues to be, to ensure access to health care in Kershaw County and continue the existence of a local hospital. The District continues to own the facilities known as KershawHealth, but now leases the premises and operations to Capella to ensure continued access to our citizens. The District also owns and operates the Karesh Wing, contracting with a management company to ensure high quality care in keeping with its long tradition. The Hospital Board also coordinates and provides access to healthcare and healthy living by administering grants within the county.
The District is also responsible for oversight and management of funds owned by the entity itself. The Board also, with professional assistance, manages funds in a 403B account for employees/retirees of KershawHealth.
Finally, the District is responsible for the administration of retirement benefits for some former employees of KershawHealth.
The District will continue to act as a provider and facilitator of healthcare access and services in Kershaw County as it has proudly done for many years. The Kershaw County Hospital Board is now operating under the name "The Health Services District of Kershaw County" to better reflect its broad healthcare mission.